Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: The Week of Oracle Database Bugs

From: Jared DeMott <demottja () msu edu>
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2006 14:46:17 -0500

greets Sinan!

I don't think there could be anything special or uber cool about a
fuzzer.
Interesting.  To say the least my hat goes off to the security/app dev
community as a whole, because it seems that fuzzing is a fairly well
understood action these days.  Most know that passing a fuzz test
doesn't == secure app, but it likely does mean we've cleared out the low
hanging fruit, assuming we have a decent fuzzer for whatever we're testing.

That said, I think there's still a lot of people fuzzing for both
security and exploit research.

I always assume there are millions out there that write better and
thousands more lines of C/python/ruby code than me every single day.
They have much more free time in their hands and the usual academic
buzz words (genetic algorithms etc.) to ponder on all day. OULU being
the prime example.
ya, I hear ya bro -- creating the next generation of fuzzers is no easy
task!!
There is no point in me targeting their share of the fish so instead
as somebody with tiny resources would, I go for the deep sea fish
which they never ever seem to catch with their sweeps since they don't
reach deep enough.
I'd like to chat more with you offline on your methodology.

It would be naive to think that you can outsmart all that lot and hunt
with similar tools and still believe it is uniquely yours.
Hmm... great discussion!

cheers,
sinan