Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: "The organization I belong to doesn't have initals" (that evil dude in Heroes)

From: Tito Villalobos <tvillalobos () wowway com>
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2006 04:47:40 -0500

Dave Aitel wrote:
The solution, of course, is to focus only on the high end risk, rather
than assuming you have to climb up the risk chain from the bottom.
IMHO, of course. I don't work for the USG and haven't for a long time.
But if you're focusing on patch and configuration compliance and your
most likely opponents don't care then you gotta assume something's
broken. Invest the majority of your cash in vulnerability research and
hacking and leave the compliance management for later. Sometimes the
best defense is a good offense, and with hacking that's nearly always
true.
Dave, I can't agree with this at all.  Not handling the low end (patch
management to fix known bugs) is essential.  Otherwise, all of that 0day
research isn't even necessary to crack the boxes.  If an organization
followed this advice (even one with enough resources to spare on "pure
research" style 0day research) but didn't have solid patch management,
it would be wide open to any "leet haxor" who could one finger
"metasploit.com".

"The best defense is a good offense" doesn't apply here.  One side is
completely on the offensive, and one is completely on the defensive.
Large organizations can't "attack back", at least under the current laws
(AFAIK, INAL), and even if they could, crashing some zombie out there is
hardly going to be good protection.  The "most likely opponents" aren't
focused on patch management, because they don't have to be on the
defense at all.

Even if a typical organization finds something through vuln research,
how do they protect against it?  Either they create a patch themselves
or notify the vendor, who creates a patch.  Both still require patch
management to ensure the fix is applied throughout the org.  The only
other alternative is to try to create some IDS/IPS sigs based on it, and
those have been quite thoroughly trashed on an earlier thread.

I'm not saying that patch management is enough.  It's just one of the
basic defenses.  However, without the basic defenses, anything more
advanced is like reinforcing the windows while leaving the doors unlocked.

-Tito