Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: VeriChip hack? (Sorry if this posts twice)

From: Hugo Fortier <hfortier () recon cx>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2006 11:06:21 -0400

On 26-Jul-06, at 6:39 PM, Michael Krymson wrote:

A commenter on a news link I read today said that the presenters only
demonstrated grabbing the unique ID off the RFID. Unfortunately, the
rest of the data is supposedly more encrypted and it is not a
concern to
leak the unique ID itself. I cannot attest to this firsthand, but
perhaps someone here can.

Only the unique ID is stored on the RFID, the rest of the data is
stored in a Database.

The presentation was about the fact that the Verichip compagny that
implant RFID on Human are using a system that have no security at all
(even if they say it's secure).

The demo Jonathan did was a demo about the Reader/Spoofer device he
made,  he has basicly read Annalle implanted RFID and spoofed it back
to the Verichip reader.

Here is a quote from Verichip website:

"With VeriChip's patented, FDA-cleared, human-implantable RFID
microchip technology, access control has achieved a new level of
protection never offered before. Now, organizations can protect
entire buildings, floors, or designated areas with the highest level
of security available today, and easily incorporate this into
existing building control systems. Additionally, staff, visitors, and
even assets can be tracked within the facility in real-time."

Ok now If I told you that Highest level of security available today
is the same technologie that is used to tag Pets?
Personally If I was implanting myself with a chip with the intention
to open my door or use it as a credit card, I would't want to hear I
got to change my chip every year for security update... Apparently
the removal can be a mess...

If you want to check more about RFID and Verichip:
Annalee Newtiz Wired article: http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/
14.05/rfid_pr.html
Jonathan Westhues website:  http://cq.cx/prox.pl
Last year recon presentation / video about RFID Proximity Cards
http://2005.recon.cx/recon2005/papers/Jonathan_Westhues/

Hugo

Either way, there are three truths to this new technology:
- It will happen. That's just the way technology is...not everything
gets turned away like e-voting (sort of)
- It will be insecure and will cause problems...but then again, do
fake
IDs, passports, etc.
- It will be the next big thing since virtualization steam-rolled into
the industry

Nick Selby wrote:
Anyone see the demo on the verichip hack at hope? Anyone have any
opinion on
the demo, like, was it successful :) ? Apologies again if this posts
twice.