Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: take control of a machine

From: "Dave Korn" <dave.korn () artimi com>
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2006 15:24:30 +0100

On 01 September 2006 15:20, Mefire Omar wrote:

Hi

Thanks for replying to my early mail .

  Please keep conversations on the mailing list, thanks, I'm not your personal
helpdesk!

yet , i have another problem ... I am from a Windows administration
background
but i've been making some progress with linux admin lately and I am
concerned with the security of a computer under my responsibility . so  ,
i've decided to secure it , my problems are :

1 - being given responsibility for the adminstration and security of a machine
that you don't have sufficient experience of, without having been given any
training first ...?

1) I want to do some testing which involve taking control of the computer.it
runs Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS 3 . and it has got some opened ports :
port 80(Apache) , port 22 (OpenSSH) , port 23 (telnet), port 21 (vsftp)

I would like you to give me some hints as to how to how to break into that
pc with some already available exploits if possible .

  Well if I wanted to skiddie my way in there, I'd grab banners from all the
ports and check the version numbers of the services running there, then google
for vulns in those versions....

    cheers,
      DaveK