Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Strcpy

From: H D Moore <hdm-daily-dave () digitaloffense net>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 13:36:50 -0500

There are (at least) three ways to exploit MS06-040:

1) Start path with \\ (unicode) and trigger plain stack overflow
2) Start path without \\ and trigger stack overflow elsewhere
3) Start path without \\ and trigger a wcscpy() call that writes our
shellcode into a location and then returns using a corrupted address.

Case 1 and 2 work fine for NT 4.0 -> XP SP1/2003 SP0. Case 3 is much more
reliable, since you tell it where to put your shellcode and then ask it
to return to where it put it. This what the most (all?) of the exploit
frameworks are using. The problem with XP SP2/2003 SP1 is that the
modules were compiled with /GS, which blocks the return address part. The
wcscpy() call (should) allow you to overwrite any writable memory area
with your choice of data. If you can find a pointer in memory (say,
ws2_32 .data, the VEH, etc) and overwrite this, you can probably get code
execution on these platforms.

If you are developing an IDS/IPS signature, you should crack open IDA Pro
and look for Xrefs to NetpIsRemote() in netapi32.dlll. Most of the
functions starting with I_* are accessible via the SRVSVC/WKSSVC RPC
interfaces. Anyone checking for 4b324fc8-1670-01d3-1278-5a47bf6ee188 and
function 0x1F is going to get made fun of once I get some free.

The Metasploit module is broken in its current form -- it happened to work
great on all of my VMs and not at all on everyone else's. This should be
addressed in the near future...

-HD