Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: News is about the details

From: "Steven M. Christey" <coley () mitre org>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2006 18:04:03 -0400 (EDT)

Dave Aitel said:

One thing I think Microsoft DOES have to change is their
classification system for "remote" versus "remote (but really
client-side)". It's confusing to the public

The whole remote/local thing has been problematic for a couple years,
so I won't rehash that too much.

The term we've started using in CVE is "user-complicit", which
recognizes that there are social engineering or external forces at
work.  In some cases, the only reasonable delivery mechanism occurs
over remote channels (say, via e-mail or a chat message), so we still
might say "remote user-complicit".  Our usage is still evolving
slightly.

Then you have what CVE calls "context-dependent" issues, which could
be local *or* remote, depending on how the affected product is being
used.  This frequently applies to general-purpose libraries, e.g. for
image manipulation.  In such cases, the library might frequently be
part of a web package or a command line program.

Both terms are clunky and will die as soon as someone comes up with
something better.

There have been a few possible terms tossed around in this area, but I
don't think anybody's hit on the right answer yet, where "right" means
"usable enough that it reaches a flash point where everyone starts
saying it."  We need a lot more terminological flash points in this
biz.

- Steve