Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: The Game / ISS SCADA talk

From: Tom Parker <tom () rooted net>
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2006 20:50:15 +0000 (GMT)

Although I'm a Brit and therefore naturally charming (therefore not
needing such material;), a number of friends who I go out with on a
fairly regular basis have read The Game, and now sware by it. As
much as it pains me to say - it all works awefully well. Check out
the tic-tac-toe trick.

Just a few quick thoughts about the ISS ppt (I didnt stick around to
see the talk)..

1) When it comes to looking at this from a technical POV, I think
they're at least somewhat on the ball; making the point that most
SCADA kit can be popped using legacy techniques and that a 'real'
attack from a nation-state actor would not nessesarily leverage
an 0day.

2) Their case for credible threats against SCADA systems diminishes
from there on.. They admit that they have no visibility into the
nation state (or 'al qaeda' as they sighted in their slides) - so
why try? As my co-speaker noted in my talk earlier in the day; its
very easy to play the blame-bin-laden game; and ignore the other
potential actors which also fall into the nation-state bucket. I
think (and again, I didnt see the talk, so apologies if I'm not
giving due credit here) that the ultimate shortfall of this is
attempting to anticipate an unidentified and potentially non-existent
adversary, through the interpretation of a limited amount of data with
a western mentality.

Their concluding slide attests to the feasibility of 'cyber terrorist'
attacks against SCADA systems, though the use of limited skills. Well
sure, let's assume that's true. But who is to say that they would
have the know-how to operate the SCADA system on compromise (and the
number of other factors that might be associated with the ultimate
objective being a success). As a topic, I think it's a whole lot
more convoluted than people think once you scratch the surface.

3) Did they get permission to reproduce that Simpsons screengrab ;>

-Tom