Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Ah, oo, uh, ie.

From: Bryan Burns <bburns () juniper net>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 15:01:08 -0800

I'm sure your tongue is somewhat in your cheek so I hope I'm not being too
pedantic, but saying "who cares" about shutting down malicious sites is a
bit like saying "who cares about arresting petty criminals with handguns
when you can be killed by snipers with fancy rifles."

It's true that shutting down these malicious sites doesn't fix the
vulnerability or make targeted attacks any less likely, but it does reduce
the overall probability that joe user will be donating his DSL line to a
botnet for the foreseeable future.

Solving 50% of the problem isn't as good as solving 100% of the problem, but
it's a lot better than solving 0%..  When dealing with the messy real world,
you can't let the perfect be the enemy of the good.

-Bryan