Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: The value of knowing reverse engineering

From: Chad Loder <dailydave () loder us>
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2006 18:31:31 -0800

On Wed, Feb 22, 2006 at 07:43:35AM +0000, Matt Hargett wrote:
Alexander Sotirov wrote:
halvar () gmx de wrote:
now with all the discussion about GCC's security features, I can quip in
a bit more than one line. Rolf and me are having long discussions after
having had crazy problems with GCC's code generation over the time --
Rolf really wants to get rid of GCC for our products, and I can't blame
him. The amusing thing is that I think that reverse engineers and
developers are an almost disjoint set, because apparently developers
just 'live' with broken code generation, and many RE's don't develop
enough
to notice broken compilers.

I've been following GCC development for a while, and I have the impression
that
they are pretty good about fixing wrong code generation bugs. From the
discussions on the GCC mailing list it seems that these bugs usually get
assigned highest priority and are resolved quickly.

This is my experience also -- I really like the way Mark Mitchell has
been managing things so far given the resource and time constraints.

Oh come on!

gcc devotes 99% of its time figuring out how to eat invalid and nonstandard
code.

gcc will happily eat just about any piece of crap code one could throw at
it without so much as a warning.  It happily compiles code that has never
been and will never be legal C according to any standard.  One never knows
what sort of magic stuff it's going to emit.  And then the gcc people make
things worse by adding their own pet gcc-isms to the C language without
thinking through how they are going to be parsed properly by *any* LALR
parser, including gcc itself!

So developers continue to write garbage code, and gcc continues to do its
magic, and nobody really knows or cares what gets emitted.

Oh...and don't even get me started on buggy builtins, which IMHO remains
a big unexplored security risk.

So forgive me for being totally underwhelmed by the new security features
which are being layered on top of this hopelessly bloated thing that gets
bigger and and nastier with every release.

Bah.