Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: WMF and the Windows Vulnerability Drought :>

From: Michael A Stevens <mstevens () cmu edu>
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2006 00:20:47 -0500 (EST)

From
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/gdi/wingdistart_9ezp.asp

"Security Considerations: GDI

This topic provides information about security considerations related to GDI. This topic doesn't provide all you need to know about security issues?instead, use it as a starting point and reference for this technology area. GDI generally has few security concerns because it deals with display rather than input. However, here are a few issues that you should consider. Bitmaps, metafiles, and fonts are complex structures that could become corrupted. It is good practice to try to ensure that these items are uncorrupted and from a trustworthy source.

On Windows NT/2000/XP, an application can specify the security descriptor for some of the printing and spooling APIs. You should take care when setting the security descriptor."

Perhaps whoever wrote that should have hit the IE developers with their clue-stick.

Mike