Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: ProtoVer vs Lotus Domino Server 7.0

From: Peter Markowsky <peterm () ccs neu edu>
Date: Sat, 4 Feb 2006 14:54:52 -0500

Afternoon all,

On Feb 4, 2006, at 1:36 PM, Dave Aitel wrote:

One of the reporters on this list should do a paper on "why do fuzzers still work?" Surely if you're implementing a complex protocol of some sort and you follow this new fangled "test driven development" fad, then clearly you've
written a few fuzzers in your time.

It seems to be that fuzzing hasn't quite made it into the main stream for Test Driven Development. A quick (really cursory) survey of amazon's literature associated with TDD shows barely a mention of fuzzing or fuzz testing, by which I mean I did not find one. Instead you see mention of how to mock other components of a program or how to write tests for specific cases. Thus my guess is that fuzzing will continue to be useful as long as people keep writing unit tests that mimic what's in the literature.

Also in general I get the impression that TDD isn't as widely used as maybe it should be.

-Pete