Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Re: Re: Blizzard's official response? (fwd)

From: "Mary Landesman" <mlande () bellsouth net>
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 23:09:23 -0400

Well, I don't know. Chuck's comments seem deliberately evasive. But when I
read through the back and forth in the Rootkit blog posts, I don't see
confirmation that Greg actually witnessed data being sent. Here's one
example:

http://www.rootkit.com/board.php?thread=4631&did=edge358&disp=4631&closed=1

If the method is what I think it is, comparing hashes client-side without
actually transmitting that data to Blizzard (aside from the 'this account
needs to be blocked), then it doesn't seem to be too drastically different
than a scanner.

Of course, if the data - even in hash form - is collected and sent to
Blizzard, then that's an entirely different matter and, in such a case, I
agree with Greg's assertion that it would amount to spyware.

I'm just not convinced (yet). But very curious.

-- Mary