Dailydave mailing list archives

Distributed minds think alike

From: Dave Aitel <dave () immunitysec com>
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 22:38:12 -0500

Lately, in febrile dreams, both you and I feel like all the random installed Hydrogens everywhere are a part of our mind. If we try hard enough, we can offload thinking to them. A foreign language (spanish? russian?) is endlessly at the tip of our tongues. Some part of us in a server in a far off land whispers gently: If you spend enough time inside a corporation the business meme's infect you. The all-important Growth. "Management" in exchange for conscience. "Knowledge leadership" instead of knowledge. Defense instead of offense.

Here, essentially, is where I think academic software security went wrong. I don't think you can do this like a snail in a shell, always tripping over your apologies for what you're daring to imagine.You have to have the mental position of an attacker to be in the game at all. I don't think Uma Thurman's character in Kill Bill spent all that time punching blocks of wood because she might eventually have to break through a coffin. And in that same sense I think the creation of attack tools is an artistic discipline whose purpose is to illustrate our own hidden nature.

-dave