Dailydave mailing list archives

Searching for kids on halloween

From: Dave Aitel <dave () immunitysec com>
Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2005 12:27:33 -0500

I had one kid come to my door last night, so we have a lot of candy left over. After enough of it, this is the stuff that was going through my head:

People get very interested in Web 2.0 "mash-ups", but I think the more interesting stuff will happen with thick clients doing "mash-ups". For example, why doesn't the standard traceroute utility display its results as part of Google Maps? I'm thinking VisualRoute on steriods. I'd build this into CANVAS if I had time, but there's no reason Novell doesn't build it into Beagle first.

Why can't you expose the CANVAS log data to Google desktop so you can ask Google what the password was to that box you hacked a few years back?

Google's destop search versus people whining on the Internet about searching still sucking. o Can do more relevance testing by - sites people never visit are not interesting. o If Google's PageRank takes into account the stuff on your desktop, it can be very relevant indeed.

I spend a lot of my time doing the really boring guts of CANVAS. Adding for loops to MOSDEF, our internal C compiler, doing user enumeration tools, writing brute forcers, writing log cleaners. But these are the elbow joints and phillips head screw drivers of hacking. You have to have them done so you can do the really fun stuff like own a linksys via your phone. I think there's a lot of people out there doing really cool, edge of your seat work. Writing and finding exploits, writing automatic analysis tools, etc. But writing an log cleaner is the equivalent of shoveling snow. It's not easy, but it's not an accomplishment when you're done. I think a lot of the reason people buy tools like CANVAS are so they can get their drive shoveled.

Ok, enough candy. Hopefully everyone had more kids come to their door than we did!

-dave