Dailydave mailing list archives

RE: Check Point Invented (R)(TM) the great sand-boxing and now protects you against "Day0"!

From: "Kyle Quest" <Kyle.Quest () networkengines com>
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 19:06:34 -0400

Ok, now that I'm back from Amsterdam I've been
able to find some of the prior art for Checkpoint's
"Malicious Code Protector":

"Polymorphic Shellcodes vs. Application IDSs"
by NGSec (2002).

"Accurate Buffer Overflow Detection via
Abstract Payload Execution" by
T. Toth and C. Kruegel (2002)

"Stride: Polymorphic sled detection through
instruction sequence analysis" by
P. Akritidis, etc

There's more, but i don't remember when I saved
them.

Kyle

P.S.

Obviously I don't know how Checkpoint implemented
their MCP and their design flaws, but it is possible
to have something usable if you do it right. I personally
put some time into this idea... and dealing with
ascii encoded and polymorphic shellcode is still
possible.