Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Re: This just in: Firewalls are obsolete

From: plonky <plonky () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 18:40:05 +0200

Hello my Dailydave Pals.

This thread is really interesting. The use of firewall is to be
defined with lot of attention for sure to define an area.
But i only read about one use of firewall :
to filter the incoming traffic from rest of the world to the defined area.

I also admit that protecting each computer of your network might be
the standard behaviour of network administrator or security policy
designer.

But whatever the time and effort spent in securing those machines.
Despite all this measures and patchs, one of your computer is owned,
what about filter what is going out of your area ?

Im not saying this will protect you at 100%, it would be silly (im not
like some antivirus company) but i truly think it would make things
worse for the attacker.
Sometime its easy to get in, but more difficult to get out.

And from my little working experience(since few years now) i often saw
weak or unexistant outgoing policy(filtering) while in the same time
the admins were only focusing about incoming policy.

And at last, i would like to thank Kalou, for the sweet talk we had in
2000 about this issue, while we were drinking some vodka.

Regards

--
Plonky