Dailydave mailing list archives

RE: Wormy cheese

From: "Paul Melson" <pmelson () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2005 09:21:21 -0400

-----Original Message-----
Subject: [Dailydave] Wormy cheese

What is it about curdled milk that is so amazingly complex that no one in
the New World
has figured it out? It's cheaper to buy a 1G USB key than it is a pound of
decent
cheese over here, which is nutty. I can understand that there aren't a
whole lot of
cows in Florida (quadrupeds, that is), but it seems like maybe a farmer in
the Midwest
could use the downtime from Katrina's destruction of our Mississippi
seaport to figure
out how to make blue cheese that didn't taste like a weak cheddar, or a
cheddar that
tasted something other than a harder swiss.

Probably not.  There is a value to culture and tradition that cannot be
synthesized.

http://shop.msu.edu/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=DAIRY-4

It also goes to show what Midwestern Ag. majors can do with lots of
technology and a few bad ideas. :-)

PaulM