Dailydave mailing list archives

RE: Exactly 500 word essay on "Why hacking is cool, so that Marcus changes his web site"

From: "Dave Korn" <dave.korn () artimi com>
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 17:29:41 +0100

----Original Message----
From: Theo Winter
Sent: 19 September 2005 17:21

Dave Korn wrote:

Theo Winter wrote:

  Perhaps you misread his article, or misunderstood it.  He was _not_ in
favour of them.

I am afraid I did _not_ misread oder misunderstand it. I also grasped that
Dave was not in favor of governmental monitoring obsession.

Alright, maybe a George Orwell fan could insist that 1984 would be a
better comparison.

My ranty-naggy point was that "Brave New World-like monitoring" does not
make any sense, as there is no monitoring in the Brave New World. The
dystopia described there is that people are bred and conditioned even
before they are born to only ever want the things the government wants
them to - which renders monitoring useless in the World State.

  Gotcha.  Ah, then "1984-style Big Brother-like monitoring" would have been
just the right choice of words for you!

    cheers,
      DaveK