Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Hacking: As American as Apple Cider

From: Isaac Dawson <isaac.dawson () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2005 18:13:45 -0400

"Think about it for a couple of minutes: teaching yourself a bunch of
exploits and how to use them means you're investing your time in learning a
bunch of tools and techniques that are going to go stale as soon as everyone
has patched that particular hole. It means you've made part of your
professional skill-set dependent on "Penetrate and Patch" and you're going
to have to be part of the arms-race if you want that skill-set to remain
relevant and up-to-date. Wouldn't it be more sensible to learn how to design
security systems that are hack-proof than to learn how to identify security
systems that are dumb?"

I don't know about the rest of you but I learned how to find bugs by
analyzing other peoples exploits in the beginning. Even now I come across a
'new' exploit (I use that term lightly) that teaches me something I
definitely didn't know. How would I know how to design a secure system
without being able to identify insecure ones? I would I learn how to
identify insecure ones if I didn't know how the hell to write bloody exploit
code that could take advantage of a flaw? Or use techniques that I learned
from other peoples exploit code? I dunno this guy seems a bit off the wall
to me. Making fun of the security industry is both easy and useless.
-isaac