Dailydave mailing list archives

Microsoft fix distribution opening up holes for spreading trojans?

From: Robert Wesley McGrew <wesleymcgrew () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2005 14:04:15 -0500

I'm posting this to see if anybody has run into it before as part of
dealing with Microsoft support, or can spot the malicious-ness in this
process.  I am not a windows expert, nor have I dealt with how
communications with Microsoft support personnel usually go, so maybe
someone else has some better insight.

A friend working on a laptop computer to fix some DLL warnings,
spyware, etc. found a printed email in the laptop bag that immediately
raised some alarms.  She showed it to me today when I dropped by for a
visit to see what my take would be, and I almost immediately decided
"scam!" and proceeded to read through and try to point out where
things get suspicious/malicious.  The thing is, we never could figure
out what exactly the scam/malware would be if it was, in fact, not
legitimate.

It appears to be a response from a "Microsoft Windows Update Support
Professional" recommending that user should go log into a yahoo email
account apparently owned by the "Support Professional" to download a
registry file to fix a problem with Windows Media Player.  How weird
is that?

The email was no longer on the laptop, so I am typing this up from the
printout found in the laptop bag (I wish it had headers :( ),
obfuscating any identifying infromation as I go: