Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Media Excitement!

From: pageexec () freemail hu
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2005 03:02:18 +0100

On 22 Apr 2005 at 10:09, robert () dyadsecurity com wrote:
The goal here wasn't to say "This one is more secure than that one".
It's to say "We have this level of sensitivity and require these
particular security mechanisms, and need this assurance level as to the
effectiveness of the security mechanisms".  Basically, choose the right
technology for your environment.

i understood this much ;-), the real question is, which of the solutions
in the mentioned URL gives *appropriate assuarance* against exploitation
(remember the original question about alternatives to patching)? based
on my experience and instinct, none of them does (EAL 4 is little more
than a joke), but i'd like to be *proven* wrong.

side question, which one of those didn't have security patches since
their evaluation?

I believe every product listed has had patches since their evaluation.
As I pointed out though in an earlier post, the containment of the
compromise, or rather the inherent ability to limit intrusion should
be designed into the TCB, not bolted on afterwards.

does any of the mentioned products at that URL contain a compromise
(thinking of kernel bugs)? or to be more precise, does any real-life
policy (since any deployed MAC system implements one) exclude the
compromise of the TCB? if not (which would match my experience), then
what's the real point (of getting certified at EAL<7)?