Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: modGREPER - hidden kernel modules detector

From: rd <rd () thc org>
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 18:40:41 +0700

James Butler wrote:
Joanna,
   We (Sherri and I) had already defeated this detection mechanism before
you released it. Perhaps you should see:
http://www.blackhat.com/html/bh-usa-05/bh-usa-05-speakers.html#Sparks

[snip]
modGREPER is a hidden module detector for Windows 2000/XP/2003. It
searches through whole kernel memory in order to find structures which
looks like a valid module description objects. Currently two most
important objects type are recognized well known _DRIVER_OBJECT and
_MODULE_DESCRIPTION. GREPER has some sort of artificial intelligence
built in, which allows it recognize if the given bytes actually

describe a module-specific object. The term AI for this algorithm is

probably a little bit exaggerated, since it is just a few bunches of
logical rules which should be satisfied by the potential fields of the
structure in question...

hi,

I'm not into windows kernel part so this is just my opinion  :) . I
think this kind of detection (by searching module structure from kernel
memory) could be defeated easily by clean up/free unnecessary fields
(which could be used to identify the structure as the module structure)
by zero out or write random data to the original module structure (of
course you should not overwrite important data such as function pointer
or so).

This might be similar to module hiding in Linux, in which cleaner.c (by
stealth/teso) unlink the module structure to hide the module, while
KSTAT (by s0ftpr0ject) searches /dev/kmem for module structure to detect
hidden module. My modclean tool which was written few years ago solves
this problem simply by cleanup module structure as well as its symbols
(to avoid the detection by tools which search for module symbols) after
unlink the module in order to hide the kernel module.

cheers,

--rd

--
rd <rd () thc org> - The Hacker's Choice - http://www.thc.org
PGP Key Fingerprint - E18F 6CE8 E12B 3306 80D9 6B5A 364B 1D77 71BB 82EF