Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: A single line drawn by Picasso, an Iraqi artist, and a buffer overflow.

From: byte_jump <bytejump () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2005 16:01:49 -0600

On 6/9/05, john blumenthal <jblumen () xmission com> wrote:

        johnb:  As long as license agreements continue to transfer all risk to the
licensee I believe we do not have a research model that works.  I am
researching not what motivates security researchers in reality; I am looking
at what suspends basic economic principles in producer-consumer
relationships when it comes to software.

I'm with John on this one in that currently all risk of vendor A's bad
coding and poor QA is transferred to a customer of vendor A.

Good grief, there are even customers that are paying for application
source code reviews of vendor programs in order to get some degree of
assurance that a vendor's code is relatively secure (I say
"relatively" because the pronouncement of "safe" code is all based
upon the source code reviewer's skills at finding insecure code). Not
every company can afford the expertise required to peform a quality
source code review of a vendor's program, and vendors are not doing
this themselves (or at least aren't releasing the findings to the
general public or even to their customers, as far as I know). None of
this will be done, will be done with cheap code reviewers, or will
never reach vendor A's other customers unless we change the economic
model.

As it stands now vendors are not liable for their poor coding and poor
(or lack of) QA. They pass those risks onto their customers which, to
me, is unacceptable.

Fighting vendor EULA's is a losing battle, IMO, and vendor liability
is not a road I think we should venture down. Software will always
have vulnerabilities, so shielding one's self from liability (through
insurance) would be prohibitively expensive - and could potentially
adversely affect open source projects.

While I'm not sure all of the kinks have or can be worked out, I
believe an auction model similar to 0bay achieves the following
benefits:
- Rewards researchers for their work.
- Lets the market decide how much researchers should be rewarded.
- Allows vendors to purchase vulnerabilities.
- Allows the potential for non-profit groups such as CERT to purchase
vulnerabilities and make the details public.
- Allows customers to measure the relative security strength of a
vendor's products against their peers.

There are probably more benefits but these are the most obvious to me.

Good discussion.