Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Vuln scoring system anyone?

From: security curmudgeon <jericho () attrition org>
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2005 15:42:17 -0500 (EST)

: SecurityFocus used to have (and I assume still does) a "vendor
: confirmed" flag.  It meant that the vendor had looked into it, and
: released some confirmation that there was a problem.
:
: If the vendor says there is a problem in their own code, then it is
: generally safe to assume the problem is real.  As opposed to some
: semi-trustable group with a tendancy to release fake advisories.

OSVDB uses this flag as well. We have extended the 'confirmation' to also
include something we have personally tested, and will sometimes flag it
depending on the source of the vulnerability. The main time it gets the
flag is for vendor confirmation in the form of advisory, release notes,
changelog, news update, etc.