Dailydave mailing list archives

RE: Vuln scoring system anyone?

From: "Kevin Greene" <kgreene () truenorthsolutions net>
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2005 23:20:19 -0500

Ron, you brought up a good point regarding the respective "ASSET"...  Regardless of how vendors classify a
vulnerability using a scale or matrix; organization must still do their due diligence in evaluating the vulnerability
to determine the overall exposure the vulnerability represents.  The organization must also identify and classify
critical business assets and determine the overall impact and risk (as it relates to confidentiality, integrity and
availability) to the business if a vulnerability is exercised on a critical business assets.  In my opinion, this
evaluation will ultimately determine the true severity of a vulnerability.

A process should be in place to determine the 1-2% of vulnerabilities that really matter (sorting through thousands of
vulnerabilities).

And don’t forget vulnerability prevalence – especially if there is no clearly defined remediation process in place.

KevEG