Dailydave mailing list archives

RE: Sending remote procedure calls through e-mail(RPC-Mail)

From: Frank Knobbe <frank () knobbe us>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 14:53:53 -0500

On Wed, 2004-10-20 at 14:33, John Bryson wrote:
With a trivial port knocking scheme, I would have to agree.
But, I disagree that its easy for a worm to do this, unless your port
knocking scheme was trivial like 'hit port 55 then 5'.

My point was that it does not protect public services from worms --
services that need to be accessed by anyone, without knowledge of
passwords or port-knocking sequence.

The statement "port-knocking protects you from worm attacks" is flawed.

While it may veil and protect private services, so do many other
mechanism (like IPSec tunnels, or my favorite, SSH).

-Frank