Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Smoke & certs.

From: Jonathan Karon <jkaron () animusrex com>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2004 14:42:39 -0700

From: surreal () delusory org
Date: October 11, 2004 2:24:21 PM PDT
Subject: Smoke & certs. was: RE: [Dailydave] Poland.

Things certainly could have changed since, but... in 1982 I enlisted in
the U.S. Army and, in a fit of inexplicable honesty told the recruiter
"sure, I smoke". He asked if I was willing to quit, I said "yes", and
within the year I had my Top Secret clearance.

My memory of it is that they don't care what you do, they just care if you get nervous, lie, and/or they think someone could use it as leverage to "break" you.

I've got a question about clearances, since y'all are here. Does the
clearance expire after a length of time? How would one find out the
status of their clearance?

I know things got a lot more tight in the '90s, and I can't say what went on prior to that. In '98, in the private sector at least, your US clearance was sponsored by a government agency. Those clearances were yearly, subject to renewal and review. If you left the company, or your company stopped paying their fees or flunked a security audit, the agency would revoke the clearance. I'm sure it's a bit different if you're a government employee, but if there's no agency actively maintaining your clearance, you can bet it's expired.