Dailydave mailing list archives

(Fwd) Re: For those of you that don't know....

From: pageexec () freemail hu
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 22:47:24 +0100

this came off-list (maybe unintentionally), but i think you might
find it useful.

How come no one uses this? It looks like the paper was
written in 2002.. is this technology old or something?

in the good old tradition of academic research the underlying
engine (RIO) has never been released to the public (in source
code, that is), then like a year or two ago there was a binary
only release of the framework + shepherding for linux, you can
find it on google, or i still have a copy, i think.

as for real life use, well, i'm of two minds. on one hand you
have strong theoretical guarantees but all this comes at a price
in practice (memory consumption being one, then threading performance,
and the very thing of runtime code generation and running the monitor
at the same privilege level as the shepherded app - somehow it
cries out for 'break me', although we won't know how good the
implementation is until the source or at least the production
binaries become available).