Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Anonymized

From: Matt Hargett <matt () use net>
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2004 13:54:21 +0000

Anton A. Chuvakin wrote:
excellent performance and level of responsibility but rather how many
years you've wasted with said company.

Yeah, to think that many places are looking for "5 years of Checkpoint [or
whatever] admin experience" and want to hire someone who didn't go beyong
configuring a frigging firewall in FIVE years!! Horrible indeed!

When I first moved to California in 1997 and was trying to get a job, many of the jobs I was going for were NT admin jobs. (NT was the case study in my OS architecture class, and I did admin/security work on NT 3.51 and NT4 both at my college and the ISP I worked at in Illinois.) A lot of the prereqs for these NT backup monkey jobs were "5+ years" and "10+ years" of NT experience. I was so incredibly frustrated, mainly because at that time, NT had barely been around for 5 years, and certainly not for 10. I should write a blog entry about some of those stories sometime.

I usually look for multiple previous projects somehow associated with the job I'm hiring for -- I try to avoid minimum experience measured in time for this reason when I hire people.