Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Spam k1ngs

From: security curmudgeon <jericho () attrition org>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 13:23:55 -0500 (EST)

: Has anyone read "Spam Kings" by Brian McWilliams (of Wired fame)? It's a
: new book out, and got lost in the mail and ended up at my house. I
: haven't read it yet, but my rabbit, "Conejito", thinks it's fantastic.
: Fantastic tasting, anyways. On the other hand, Conejito's favorate food
: is chicken, so he's clearly a bit weird.

I am about halfway through it right now. Overall it is a good read so far.
I am hoping by the end of the book he goes into a little more detail on
some aspects of what happened with the various people he tracks through
the book, as well as a little more detail on the 'tech' side of things.
More specifically, how they operated for so long and kept their operations
profitable when ISPs should have been booting them left and right.
McWilliams just got into the 'pink contracts' before I had to put the book
down the other day and I hope it goes into more detail and example.

: I think the Spam and Hackers connection is pretty interesting. It's like
: drugs and violent revolution, or diamonds and weapons smuggling, or
: something. I dunno. I have a protocol to dismember, so I'll go back to
: that.

The sociology aspect of hackers, crackers, spammers, [whatever term you
use for anything remotely related] is fascinating. Much more interesting
reading than technical books these days. There are a few other books out
along these lines that I hope to pick up. After Spam Kings, the other that
may be of interest:

Inside the SPAM Cartel
by Spammer-X, et al

And moving back to the 'hacker' side of things, the following book may
prove to be interesting.

Cyber Adversary Characterization: Auditing the Hacker Mind
by Tom Parker, Marcus Sachs, Eric Shaw, Ed Stroz, Matthew G. Devost