Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: ADTI

From: Paul Wouters <paul () xtdnet nl>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 16:43:17 +0100 (MET)

On Sat, 20 Nov 2004, security curmudgeon wrote:

: I was on at the time. Even as late as 2000, there were portions of the
: Linux kernel with comments like "/* Don't know why this works, just DONT
: change it! */".

Sometimes, this is a good approach. As long as the source author of the code
is known and known to understand his litle niece. For instance, how many
people understand Radij Trees? The Linux IPsec (KLIPS) code includes a
radij tree by John Ioannidis. The developers don't claim to fully understand it. But it does work. (and I wish the 2.6 ipsec people who implement one!)

the grave claim Open Source Software May Offer Target for Terrorists and
threw around terms such as "terrorists" and "national security". In an
article exposing this report, Richard Forno goes on to say "Contrary to
the promise of the press release, the actual document spoke very little
about the role of open source software in the fight against terrorism.

s/open source/freedom/g ?

Sure, nations who still value freedom will be harboring grounds for
terrorists, just *because* they are still free countries :P

Paul