Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Software patents ...

From: Dave Aitel <dave () immunitysec com>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 07:42:09 -0500

This is a bit out of yacc.py . So in Python, the IsNot operator is written "not id()". This directly violates their first claim, and pre-dates it, and is public, and as far as I know, renders it invalid. But I think they clearly showed their strategy here. Just patent anything small that would be required to maintain compatability. I think Mono is screwed for this reason. Gnome should have bet on a Python tool chain.

Our patent system is basically out of control. But there are ways to fight back. For every nuclear weapon requiring a expensive reactor, there's a biological one that can be grown in your backyard. I won't give it away here though. :>

-dave

   # Compute the LR(0) goto function goto(I,X) where I is a set
   # of LR(0) items and X is a grammar symbol.   This function is written
   # in a way that guarantees uniqueness of the generated goto sets
   # (i.e. the same goto set will never be returned as two different Python
   # objects).  With uniqueness, we can later do fast set comparisons using
   # id(obj) instead of element-wise comparison.

halvar () gmx de wrote:

Somebody (presumably MS engineers ?) is trying to patent the "IsNot" Operator for BASIC.

http://appft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&d=PG01&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsrchnum.html&r=1&f=G&l=50&s1=%2220040230959%22.PGNR.&OS=DN/20040230959&RS=DN/20040230959

Boggling.

Cheers,
Halvar