Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Heathrow scanner experiences?

From: Frank Berger <Frank.Berger () fm-berger de>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2004 16:09:16 +0100

Hello *,

I also read about that new x-ray scanner in an German newspaper...

Paul Wouters wrote:
and what they actualy showed. He then offered me a look behind the scene
(and screen).  A second officer was there, looking at a monitor that
still showed my third shot. I saw myself from behind, 'naked'. I was quite
suprised that this technology could actually render me naked. I could see
where I have body hair and where not. From a technological point of view
quite an achievement.

I think thats the main weakness of that scanner as well :-) I do not
know how that machine works and up to what depth that machine
penetrates an human body (e.g. can it detect metal inside an human
body?).

Anyway problem is: The Image looks very realistic (may be too
realistic)!

BUT: It is still computer generated.

Would be interesting to see, how the image looks like if you wear
material which has similar physical properties than human skin...

So, for me it is just one more PR joke in terms of national security,
just like biometric information in passports. I do not belive that
you can stop terrorists with such technology gadgets.

Bye
Frank