Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: The Small Company's Guide to Hard Drive Failure and Linux

From: Gadi Evron <ge () linuxbox org>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2004 15:16:34 +0200

The other issue with dd is that typically replaces every sector on the disk. So you'll need a disk EXACTLY the same size as the previous disk. My disk was one meg smaller (40.0 Meg instead of 40.9 Meg). This was an annoying problem.

Moral of the story, in a wider view (not trying to see what you could have done better, but what you could have done instead in a WHAT-IF scenario):

1. Always keep an extra bigger HDD which you vigorously hide from other
people.

2. What about a small backup system?

3. How about not keeping all your eggs in one basket? :P

Other than that I think you have done a miraculous job with that HDD. Quick and good thinking! And remember - people are always better lecturing to others than to themselves.. I don't backup my (private) systems either.

        Gadi.