Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Half Disclosure

From: Dave Aitel <dave () immunitysec com>
Date: Wed, 03 Nov 2004 12:57:18 -0500

halvar () gmx de wrote:

Honestly, I think a mailing list where advisories with targets but no details are posted
would be hilarious,

This is basically what bugtraq has turned into, I think. It's what Weld and Microsoft were pushing for with the OIS, and to some extent they've partially succeeded. It's also interesting to note the lack of people posting to Securityfocus mailing lists these days. For me the funny thing is how people always assume they're the first people to find a bug. Waiting three months until you release technical details is moot if every likely target was owned years ago.

and so would be a mailing list with exploits minus targets.

How would one go about doing this? Obfuscated code? I guess it's easier for client side bugs: "Here is an HTML page that owns something in some configuration." I guess it's possible for certain remote bugs too. This would definately rock. Feel free to do it here. :>

Alternatively,
I kinda like the idea of a mailing list where one can post hashes of textfiles explaining a vulnerability. Once the vulnerability is discovered elsewhere (or just fixed accidentally), the full text can be posted. This would allow for some very interesting estimates on how long bugs are known before they get fixed, without actually disseminating the bugs.

deff2b2c54d0ab382002698229c98be6 . This one just got fixed. I'm not sure if I'm going to release it or not. :>

Dave Aitel
Immunity, Inc.