Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Greg Hoglund's mail spool

From: Dave Aitel <dave () immunitysec com>
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2004 15:30:45 -0500

Matt Hargett wrote:

Dave Aitel wrote:

So, today everyone got a copy, pretty much, and one thing I have to say is that he comes off in private (as they say, SIGINT never lies) as someone who actually has honor. You can tell by the way he doesn't support bogus software patents, even when people press him to do so privately. Software patents are bad, people. Stop supporting them, and they'll stop hurting us all.

What is your opinion on process patents, oh great one? That is actually what I was referring to in the now public but then private email you are obviously reffering to. If you're against, please use the fast food preparation process example that is so popular among IP folks due to its technology neutrality.

Process patents are stupid and evil too. It's not like any of this stuff is truly new. Runtime decompilation to look for security bugs? It's all been done, and long before we stepped onto the scene. Lcamtuf, anyone? Even Immunity has an automatic exploit generation tool and "integrated remote debugging environment" that we use within a VM. And we're tiny.

Greg was right, and even though he could have abused the system and maybe even gotten a patent, he didn't do so. Anyone rich can abuse the patent system right now, including fast food companies and book companies that should be concentrating on selling food and books. You really get a choice: You get to use Linux and free software and support that lifestyle, or you can get rich from patents. But you can't claim to support free software, and still get software patents. "For defensive purposes only." is insincere, and we can all tell. Do you want to live in a country where it's impossible to start a small software business, or not?

Even disregarding the ideology, it's just bad economics to have software and process patents. Companies that get them and abuse them find it hard to buy CANVAS. That's the most I can do, other than whining here and supporting the EFF with what cash I have left over.

PS: Why would you choose to draw more attention to these leaked emails when there are some interesting ones in there between you and Greg that aren't exactly positive? This confuses me. Is this some kind of marketing thing?

I didn't see anything that wasn't positive between myself and Greg, which would make sense, since there aren't any bad emails to leak.

-dave
(and on that note, ad nauseum)
claim 1: The process of taking a leak, but with a computer
claim 2: The process described in Claim 1, but also including taking a dump.
claim 3: Computer code, possibly in an interpreted language, which incorporates claims 1 and/or 2. claim 4: Claims 1 and 2, done remotely via an RPC (remote procedure call) over a computer network.
claim 5: claims 1 and 2, in an embedded control in a car
claim 6: claims 1 and 2, but including a Virtual Reality helmet
claim 7: claims 1 and 2, but using a virtual machine (VM)