Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Getting Old.

From: ned <nd () felinemenace org>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 23:11:05 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 11 Aug 2004, Dave Aitel wrote:

Blue Boar wrote:

Dave Aitel wrote:

Basically, you have to write a gnu-compatable assembler entirely in
Python. I have one for X86 which was quite difficult due to variable
length opcodes, but it's not nearly has difficult ( I think ) on
something like SPARC/MIPS/PPC, etc.

Did you do PPC already?  What's involved in something new like AIX,
system calling convention?  Or is it x86-only so far?

                    BB

MOSDEF is currently fully functional on Linux/Win32 X86 only. A full
MOSDEF engine requires an assembler, an il2<arch asm>.py, and a remote
resolver stub, which is typically a small amount of libc (and mostly
reusable between platforms).

IIRC, plan9 has a heap of cool emulators, well one for MIPS i know of.
would there be some way to tap into a development platform like p9, or
even write a language transposer in python?. python is good for that sort
of stuff, better than perl anyway.

The hard part, of course, was the cparse.py, which may need modification
to support RISC chips - I have no idea right now.

Right now, MOSDEF is a gain mostly when doing complex things, or things
that require a lot of data transfer. My compiler needs some
optimization, and it turned out not to be trivial to do so with the
Python profiler. I'm seeing a one second overhead on a reasonably fast
machine currently, which is pretty annoying.

-dave

--
http://felinemenace.org/~nd