Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: XP SP2 - "Exploit writers need to stop being such a pussy"

From: H D Moore <hdm-daily-dave () digitaloffense net>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 12:50:10 -0500

XP Pro comes with the full IIS (5.1) suite; web server, mail server, ftp
server, etc. I was testing out some older ISAPI overflows on IIS 5.1 w/XP
SP2, the only significant difference in exploiting them is that all regs
(cept ebp, esp) are cleared when the exception handler kicks. It took all
of 30 seconds or so to get the code working. Simply changing the returns
from jmp/call reg to pop/pop/[...]/ret [1] fixed it right up. SP2 doesn't
do much at all for third-party applications.

-HD

1. $ ./msfpescan -f nsiislog.dll -s