Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Symantec Buys @stake

From: Jan Muenther <jan.muenther () nruns com>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 09:03:32 +0200

So Symantec bought @stake. NAI bought Foundstone, INS bought Global
Integrity. Microsoft bought LSD.  The era of consolodation is upon us.

Anyone have any comments on the sale?

Hm, yes I do. I'm really glad I'm not with them anymore.

The company I currently work for has been founded by people who found it
difficult to work independently when Lucent bought INS. One can only hope that
a few brave souls from @stake will take similar measures.

I strongly doubt this is good for @stake's core business, too, for obvious
reasons.

So, Symantec have really been hovering things up... it was sort of obvious
why they bought Recourse Technologies, they probably considered it a good
addition to their portfolio since their own IDS really blew chunks.

With the acquisition of bugtraq and now @stake I'd be surprised though if they
didn't use their market penetration to push some standards which are "good for
everybody" sooner or later. It's a common pattern, after all.

Cheers, J.