Dailydave mailing list archives

RE: Self updating worms?

From: "Jonathan Wilkins" <jwilkins () microsoft com>
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2004 14:04:37 -0700

The point is that the author wouldn't be doing the updating personally.
The worm would update automatically based on it's ability to extract new
exploit vectors from *other* worms/exploits that it was able to see
while
sniffing whatever network it found itself on.  (Obviously this would be
limited to exploits/worms that were generated using some
language/product
that the original author had written an extractor for)

This is a fire and forget type worm that would be able to propogate
very slowly without the penalties that usually apply to slow moving
worms.
Releasing multiple variants increases the chances of the author being
discovered with every new release.

I'm not suggesting it as a retail product, just as a potentially neat
idea.