Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: anonymized

From: Rodney Thayer <rodney () canola-jones com>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 09:27:48 -0700

At 11:54 AM 8/27/2004 -0400, Mike Bailey wrote:

Just playing devils advocate here,

I don't think we should fault these guys 100%, They are trying something at
least. Do some have too big an ego? Most certainly, but anytime you try to
grow a business on a large scale you have to have business people and they
rely on marketing like this. It's a painful fact but marketing companies are
really just civilian PSYOPS battalions wearing cute little outfits and
making pretty little advertising copy.   Government contractors have the
same people only they pay people to scour for and write convincing contract
proposals to the Gov instead of pretty ads in magazines.

I think it's perfectly valid to fault these guys.  Just because they
are marketing a product and have a web site and P-R folks is no reason
I have to assume they are selling a product that works.  There's no real
data to suggest their product works, that I noticed.

Security by obscurity is a bad thing.

If I could write a HIPS software and get it deployed tactically ala JWICS
and JDISS where I didn't have to worry about getting attacked from the
internet or anywhere else our execs would certainly want to market that as
our software being used to protect troops and the nation with comments like
it never being broken in X years of production whether I the developer
intended it to be presented that way or not.

Yeah and drug company execs would market horse poop in pill form if they
could convince 60 year old guys it would make them better with their
22 year old dates.  That's why you want it tested, for some value
of tested.  (P.s. buying Canvas and using that for testing would be a
fine example.)

There should be a consumer reports division for security technology. I'm
sounding too much like I'm defending people I don't like anyway so I'll shut
up now.

There is.  It's called the technical publications media.  I do reviews for
them.  Lots of other people do too.  We try to document crap when it's crap.