Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Custom defense

From: David Maynor <dmaynor () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2004 21:48:57 -0400

I dunno Dave....I am gonna have to go ahead and disagree with you on this one.
If you believe in custom attacks then you are not a fan of the hype of
companies like ISS. You see, ISS writes their sigs for the vulns, and
not for exploits. People like Tipping Point claim this, but in fact
don't. Further proof your custom attack market is not very large is
the HIPS market. Lack of code coverage and poor design will keep
players like Cisco and Entercept from ever stopping anything of any
worth. What does this mean, why am I spouting it? Simple, its still
the wild, wild, west. Custom attacks, generic attacks, they are all
still owning everybody with out protection of REAL security