Dailydave mailing list archives

RE: Bugfun!

From: "Thor Larholm" <thor () pivx com>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 16:12:43 -0700

The more lists the merrier :)

Posting code or disassemblies without revealing the source seems like an
exercise in obfuscation. If the list got renowned for having analyzed
critical vulnerabilities in key components of network or kernel code I
can easily imagine myself and others making tools to take that partial
code or disassembly and search for its footprint in a library of source
code, binaries and running processes.

Is it a source code snippet? I'll grep my source library.

Is it a disassembly? I'll check running processes on my network before
running through all binaries in my archive, disassembling them all and
checking the footprint.

True, all of this would take some initial groundwork, tool development
and lots of storage space. In the end, it's all a matter of whether it's
worth it, but knowing Dave's knack for critical vulnerabilities I could
imagine so ;)

The immediate payoff for a malicious person would probably be bigger
just by automating the process of reverse engineering binary patches
from Microsoft.

Regards

Thor Larholm
Senior Security Researcher
PivX Solutions
24 Corporate Plaza #180
Newport Beach, CA 92660
http://www.pivx.com
thor () pivx com
Stock symbol: (OTCBB:DRIL)
Phone: +1 (949) 231-8496
PGP: 0x5A276569
6BB1 B77F CB62 0D3D 5A82 C65D E1A4 157C 5A27 6569

PivX defines a new genre in Desktop Security: Proactive Threat
Mitigation.
<http://www.pivx.com/qwikfix>