Dailydave mailing list archives

Microsoft lays out server road map

From: "Peter Parker" <peterparker () fastmail fm>
Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 23:22:11 -0700

Hi List,

Today bumped on the news about M$ laying out server road map for its
future server class OS Longhorn, the next major edition of its operating
system, targeted to arrive in 2007. M$ also communicated their plans for
its bug fixes =^|

As per Microsoft's Bob Muglia...

"Microsoft has already slated both a service pack and an update for
Longhorn. We are thinking about an update release to Longhorn that will
come in the 2009 time frame; 2008 will probably be the service pack; 2009
will be the update release. In Microsoft parlance, a service pack is a
bug-fix release that's free to customers. "

Its very unfortunate to see that we are in the computing era where
service packs are being planned even before the software is released.
Software companies are assuming that their software would have bugs and
needs to be fixed. Not assuming the liability of such buggy software
however seems like claiming credit for having plans for their fixes :)

For those interested in the full story checkout
http://techrepublic.com.com/5100-6265_11-5211742.html?tag=e019

For all those fellow pentesters and security advocates... gear up for one
more, not yet released OS thats surely going to have bugs.

Cheers!

--
  peter
  peterparker () fastmail fm