Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Open Source Vulnerability Database Opens for Public Access

From: sullo () cirt net
Date: Sat, 3 Apr 2004 00:59:16 -0500

Quoting Rodney Thayer <rodney () canola-jones com>:

It's from an organization (the Open Security Foundation) that's
not listed on the web, that doesn't disclose who it's officers are,
doesn't explain if it's a legal entity or not, etc.

The OSF is being set up right now and will be an official non-profit
organization. Information can be found about it on both osvdb.org and
http://opensecurityfoundation.org/

 From the web site:

  <mailto:sullo () cirt net>Chris Sullo - Chris has been involved with the
project from the very beginning and has recruited key members to the project.
He currently handles and approves all new vulnerabilities

If you are referring to the "all new" at that stage--yes, that is a place where
we need a new, trusted source to help.  But this step just allows an entry to
be listed as NEW so that a mangler may work it. It still must go through at
least one mangler and a moderator before it is ever seen on the public site.

... which is approximately the same precise description you get if
you ask about the structure of CVE.

CVE is just a catalog of entries and does not have the level of detail OSVDB
provdes. We are using the CVE reference to tie entries together, connecting our
data to Snort/Nessus/Nikto/etc.

Regards,
Sullo

--