Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Today's thought

From: "Halvar Flake" <HalVar () gmx de>
Date: Sat, 29 May 2004 22:00:55 +0200 (MEST)

Hey Matt,

I've never seen ObjRec other than over someone's shoulder, so I have no
idea how you implemented things there. I seem to recall we were talking
about detection of "size" bugs, and you were talking about backtracing.
I said that I preferred the PC-Lint approach of starting at the
allocators and coloring the dataflow moving forward, which seems like
more work at first,

I roughly agree(d) up until this point.

but after you do everything necessary for decent
backtracing one realises that coloring forward is about the same
computationally in the worst case.

Factually if you think
about inverse tracking a bit you will very quickly find that you cannot
sensibly do range analysis over a path without tracking forwards as well.

The sticking point was that I said
either approach is quite limited without interfunction dataflow and
value tracking (which PC-Lint also does... sometimes). You then said
that value tracking wasn't useful, and I disagreed given my experience
with finding certain classes of bugs only in the presence of
interfunction value tracking. I don't remember the rest of the
conversation.

This is where my memory differs. I did not, and would not ever, dispute
the fact that in order to deal with many situations involving structures
and indirection you want interprocedural dataflow. What I might have said
is that there are people that disagree with me on that opinion, such as
the Stanford Checker team at the time (as they mentioned in a paper that
they do not see the benefit is worth the cost). I might have also said that
doing the full forwards analysis could be computationally costly and
mentioned the performance problems a certain product had at the time.

I'm pretty sure I understood you clearly, since you were in disagreement
with what I was saying. Perhaps the confusion is in interfunction

I was in disagreement with you comparing a LINT with something like
Coverity's checker (as architecturally they bear very little resemblance)
and I vaguely remember being surprised/annoyed/angry at what I perceived as
your inability to distinguish between the LINT, AST postprocessors and
the simulation approach taken by PreFix.

dataflow coloring versus actual value tracking and simulation versus
forward tracing instead of backtracing? Maybe you were just screwing
with me? Perhaps that conversation never happened and it was all a
dream...

I don't screw with people -- it's massively dangerous in any
field to not tell exactly what you think: See the A.Selberg/P.Erdos
controversy as an example how such behaviour can backfire :-)

In any event, I didn't intend to upset/insult you publically or
privately with my comments. Please accept my apologies :)

No problem. And please accept my apologies for sounding harsh in my
reply. The thing is that in the weird field we're in it is frightfully
easy to create "alternate realities/history" by mailing list posts.

Cheers,
Halvar