Dailydave mailing list archives

RE: Re[2]: ASN.1 Vulnerability Could Allow Code Execution(828028); Microsoft Security Bulletin MS04-007

From: "Brett Moore" <brett () softwarecreations co nz>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 09:59:59 +1300

Ahwell. I personally have this weird idea that we're by far not done
with MSASN1.DLL.
etc

I'd agree with that, and everything you said... Take the RPC flaws for
example... Once one had come out attention is sunddenly turned to that
area, and more are found...

If someone was to take a systematic approach to bug finding, instead
of random hit and miss. They would turn up a hell of a lot of bugs..

"Methodical Approach To Finding Buffer Overflows"
* Review past bugs
* design a 'spreadsheet'
* mark in known bugs
* test where the gaps are.

example: previous = prev bug, silent fix = discovered but fixed silently by
sp
           Large Param      Chunked Post     content-type len
.ida         Previous                          silent fix
.asp         Previous        Previous
shtml.dll    silent fix      silent fix
fp30reg.dll                   found
etc..

Past history shows the majority of buffer overflows exist due to
1) long filename/pathname/paramater
   Check everything that accepts a filename/pathname/param
   Including HTTP methods/headers and API's
2) corrupt packet/file (essentially the same thing)
  Check all interfaces where packets are recieved, files read for info.
  Including RPC/DDE/SMB

Of course reverse enginerring all the dlls/functions and reviewing the code
while been extremely time cosuming, could turn up gold... Perhaps its just
a matter of knowing 'where to look'....

.