Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Fwd: Re[2]: Lame studies that people quote as fact that have no basis in reality and still don't prove anything even if they did

From: Rodney Thayer <rodney () canola-jones com>
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2004 07:51:32 -0800

At 04:34 PM 2/5/2004 +0100, Halvar Flake wrote:

Humans invented complex data structures for a reason.

I agree.  And if you have a situation where that's the
appropriate way to represent a problem, then...

  -- have a good time using pointers or loose typing or
     whatever, because you're clearly using the right tool
     for the job
  -- use of a complex data structure does not abrogate your
     responsibility to comment/document the code clearly, AND
  -- build it in a robust manner, AND
  -- make it maintainable, AND
  -- make sure the shit works before you let the code leave
     development, AND
  -- it should be maintainable.  Never act like it's throw-away
     code.

Now while those are all Rodney's versions of "code hygiene", they
seem to lead in the direction of producing more secure code.

Clearly nothing I'm saying gets done by anyone inside OpenBSD
(see, I told ya I could piss on someone other than Redmond!)

I'm not claiming pointers or data structures are evil.  I'm
claiming there's no excuse for being sloppy. If you need to
do something complex, do what you have to do.