Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Lame studies that people quote as fact thathaveno basis in reality and still don't prove anything even ifthey did

From: "Matt Hargett" <matt () use net>
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2004 17:37:40 -0800

Matt wrote:
I also think they were referring more towards cases in which new
functionality needs to be added to existing code, or existing
functionality modified to some significant degree. Vulnerabilities
don't tend to fall into either of these categories.

Are you for real? How do you define vulnerability?

Neither of the above imply the software is broken while a vulnerability
does. Software can a) get redesigned or b) have features added without c)
discovering or repairing any vulnerabilities. Both a and b are probably
more
expensive than c.

I'm sorry, I thought you were implying that architectural and/or
implementation vulnerabilities in existing code aren't introduced (knowingly
or unknowingly) with refactoring or feature adds. I must've misunderstood
what you were saying. Thanks for the clarification.