Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Debuggers and such...

From: the grugq <grugq () hcunix net>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 21:46:36 +0000

the project which replaces ptrace() for intraprocess manipulation / control is the dude. by the same people who are writing the bastard, but its a seperate project. Its usual right now, but we haven't written a user interface. I'm planing on knocking up a "libptrace" which uses the dudes process control primitives, but exports the same interface as ptrace() so that we can just relink gdb and be good to go... but I
haven't really gotten around to it. I'm a lazy fuck, what can i say?

If there is high demand, maybe I'll kick it out this weekend. The most recent dude should be on sourceforge if anyone wants to have a play.

peace,

--gq

Dave Aitel wrote:
In my opinion ddd is to ollydb what a honda civic is to an audi s4. Part of gdb's problem is ptrace() itself. I believe the bastard's team is hooking the linux kernel to get around this, but it has been a long time since I've looked at the project.

Just for starters - what memory pages are owned by what shared libraries, and I want to search through all of those pages for ffe4. This is an easy thing with olly, and impossible with ddd.

Every unix hacker, including myself, who's used olly has wished they had it on linux.

-dave